Contrave Coupon & Prices
Get notified when Contrave medication is added to NiceRxGet Started Now
Secure: Your personal and medical information is safe with us
Convenient: Your medication is delivered straight to your door
Ongoing refills: Your medication is refilled automatically
Is NiceRx a Contrave coupon provider?
NiceRx is not a Contrave coupon, Contrave discount card, or Contrave copay card provider. We do not offer Contrave manufacturer coupons, Contrave discounts, rebates, Contrave savings cards, trial offers, or free Contrave samples. We are a service provider that helps eligible individuals access their medication directly from the U.S. pharmaceutical company.
Contrave patient assistance program
Patient assistance programs are typically sponsored by pharmaceutical companies and provide free or discounted medications to individuals with low income who are uninsured or under-insured and meet the eligibility criteria that vary by program. There are currently no known patient assistance programs for this medication.
Can NiceRx help me get Contrave cheaper if I have insurance?
How much does Contrave cost without insurance?
Without insurance, Contrave costs will vary depending on where you buy the medication as prices will vary by retailer. As a guide, Contrave extended-release tablets (90 mg-8 mg will cost around $260 for 70 tablets.
How much does Contrave cost with insurance?
The copay for Contrave will depend on the terms of your healthcare plan. Your healthcare provider or pharmacist will be able to calculate your copay with your current insurance. Contact them to find out more.
What is Contrave?
Contrave is an FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) approved medication manufactured by Orexigen Therapeutics, Inc. It is a combination of naltrexone, an opioid antagonist, and bupropion, an aminoketone antidepressant, used in conjunction with a reduced-calorie diet, and increased physical activity for weight management in adults with a body mass index (BMI) of 30 kg/m2 or more, or 27 kg/m2 or more, associated with at least one weight-related comorbidity, such as hypertension, type 2 diabetes mellitus, or dyslipidemia. The safety and effectiveness of Contrave in combination with other treatments for weight loss have not been studied. If the patient does not lose 5% of their baseline body weight after 12 weeks, further treatment with this medication is unlikely to be beneficial and should be discontinued.
What doses of Contrave are available?
Contrave is available as extended-release tablets, in the following doses: 8 mg naltrexone HCl /90 mg bupropion HCl.
Always speak with a healthcare professional for medical advice about any changes to your dose so they can monitor and evaluate your condition.
Contrave active ingredients
The active ingredients of Contrave are bupropion and naltrexone.
Contrave side effects
The most common side effects of Contrave in clinical trials include:
- Nausea, vomiting
- Constipation, diarrhea
- Headache, dizziness
- Trouble sleeping
- Dry mouth
In rare instances, Contrave can cause more serious side effects. These can include:
- Increased risk of suicidal thoughts and behavior in children, adolescents, and young adults. Monitor for worsening symptoms
- Neuropsychiatric adverse events during smoking cessation – changes in mood, psychosis, hallucinations, paranoia, homicidal ideation, hostility, anxiety, and panic
- Risk of seizure – avoid coadministration with a high-fat meal
- Increase in blood pressure and heart rate
- Hepatotoxicity – hepatitis and clinically significant liver dysfunction
- Angle-closure glaucoma
Your doctor will assess the benefits of using Contrave against your risk of side effects. Patients are encouraged to report negative side effects or adverse reactions of Contrave to the FDA. Visit www.fda.gov/medwatch, or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Contrave drug interactions
Contrave can interact with other medications. These include:
- Opioid pain relievers may be less effective and lead to sudden opioid withdrawal
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)
- Drugs metabolized by CYP2D6 – Bupropion can increase concentrations of antidepressants, antipsychotics, beta-blockers, and Type 1C antiarrhythmics
- CYP2B6 inhibitors – ticlopidine or clopidogrel
- CYP2B6 inducers – ritonavir, lopinavir, efavirenz, carbamazepine, phenobarbital, and phenytoin
- Drugs that lower seizure threshold
- Dopaminergic drugs – levodopa and amantadine
- Antidiabetics – weight loss may cause hypoglycemia. Check your blood glucose
- Drug-laboratory test interactions – Contrave can cause false-positive urine test results for amphetamines
This list is not exhaustive and other prescription drugs may interact with Contrave. Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
You should not use Contrave if you:
- Are allergic to the active ingredients bupropion or naltrexone
- Have had an allergic reaction to any of the other ingredients in Contrave
- Are using other bupropion-containing products (Wellbutrin, Aplenzin, Budeprion, Forfivo, Zyban)
- Are taking or have taken monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI) within 14 days
- Have untreated or uncontrolled high blood pressure (hypertension)
- Have an eating disorder (anorexia nervosa or bulimia)
- Have a history of seizure disorder
- Have an opioid addiction or withdrawal (or if you take methadone or buprenorphine)
- Have suddenly stopped using alcohol, seizure medication, or sedatives
- Are pregnant or are planning to become pregnant
Talk to your doctor about your medical condition before using Contrave if you:
- Are taking any of the medications that could interact with Contrave
- Have depression, bipolar disorder, or any other mental health illnesses
- Have suicidal thoughts or actions
- Have a head injury, or a tumor or infection in your brain or spinal cord
- Are diabetic or have low blood sugar
- Have liver problems
- Have kidney disease
- Have heart disease, or have had a heart attack, or stroke
- Have a drug or alcohol addiction
- Are breastfeeding or are planning to breastfeed
Contrave is the trademark brand name for naltrexone/bupropion manufactured by Orexigen Therapeutics, Inc. A generic version of naltrexone/bupropion is not available. Generic drugs are generally cheaper than brand-name drugs, but you can still find Contrave savings through NiceRx.
The content on this website is intended for information purposes only. It does not constitute medical advice. The information on this website should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. You should always speak to your doctor regarding the risks and benefits of any treatment.