Rybelsus Dosage, forms & strengths
Complete a free online enrollment application to find out if you’re eligible to pay only $49 per month for your Rybelsus medication.
Get started today
Rybelsus (semaglutide) is a prescription drug that is manufactured by Novo Nordisk. There is no generic version of Rybelsus available. It is FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) approved to help manage and improve blood glucose levels in patients with type 2 diabetes. It is not indicated to treat type 1 diabetes.
Rybelsus dosage forms and strengths
Rybelsus is available as an oral tablet with the following strengths:
- 3 mg tablet
- 7 mg tablet
- 14 mg tablet
Rybelsus dosage for adults
Rybelsus is a glucagon-like peptide-1 or GLP-1 receptor agonist that is approved along with diet and exercise to improve glycemic control in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus. The starting dose of Rybelsus tablets is 3 mg once daily for 30 days. After 30 days on the 3 mg dose, increase to 7 mg once daily. Your dose may be increased to 14 mg once daily if you need more blood sugar control after at least 30 days on the 7 mg dose.
Rybelsus adult dosage chart
|Indication||Starting dosage||Standard dosage||Maximum dosage
|Type 2 diabetes||3mg on an empty stomach right after you wake up for 30 days.||7mg to 14 mg on an empty stomach right after you wake up.||14 mg on an empty stomach right after you wake up.
The safety and efficacy of Rybelsus have not been established in children under the age of 18.
Rybelsus dosage restrictions
- There is no dosage adjustment necessary in patients with hepatic or renal impairment.
How to take Rybelsus
- Take Rybelsus exactly as it is prescribed to you. Please read the full Prescribing Information, including Boxed Warnings, and the Medication Guide.
- Rybelsus should be taken at least 30 minutes on an empty stomach before the first food, beverage, or other oral medications of the day with no more than 4 ounces of plain water only.
- Waiting less than 30 minutes, or taking with food, other beverages, or other oral medications will lessen the effect of Rybelsus. Waiting more than 30 minutes to eat may increase absorption.
- Swallow the tablets whole. Do not cut, crush, or chew the tablets. After 30 minutes, you can eat, drink, or take other oral medicines
- The starting dose of Rybelsus is 3 mg once daily for 30 days. After 30 days on this dose, increase to 7 mg once daily. Your dose may be increased to 14 mg once daily if you need more blood sugar control after at least 30 days on the 7 mg dose.
- If you missed a dose of Rybelsus, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule.
- Store Rybelsus at room temperature from 68°F to 77°F (20°C to 25°C) in a dry place away from moisture. Rybelsus tablets should be kept in the original closed bottle until you are ready to take one.
Rybelsus dosage FAQs
What are the most common side effects of Rybelsus?
The most common adverse reactions of Rybelsus include:
- Abdominal pain
- Decreased appetite
- Weight loss
Rybelsus can cause some serious side effects, including:
- Hypersensitivity reactions (anaphylaxis)
- Increased risk of thyroid c-cell tumors, medullary thyroid carcinoma (MTC), and multiple endocrine neoplasia syndrome type 2
- Gallbladder disease
- Acute kidney injury
- Diabetic retinopathy complications
What are some drug interactions with Rybelsus?
Rybelsus lowers your blood sugar and can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). You are at an increased risk of hypoglycemia if it is used along with insulin secretagogues (sulfonylureas) or insulin.
Wegovy also delays gastric emptying which may affect the absorption of oral medications that are taken along with it.
Can you take Rybelsus if you are pregnant?
There may be potential risks to the fetus if you take Rybelsus while you are pregnant. If you become pregnant, discontinue Rybelsus immediately and contact your healthcare provider. If you plan on becoming pregnant, Rybelsus should be stopped at least 2 months before.
Can you take Rybelsus if you are breastfeeding?
Breastfeeding is not recommended when taking Rybelsus. Your doctor should prescribe an alternative medication that can be used during lactation.
What happens if I miss a dose of Rybelsus?
If you miss a dose of Rybelsus, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule.
Can I use Rybelsus for weight loss?
While Rybelsus is not approved as a weight loss treatment, you may lose weight while taking it.
Does Rybelsus have any cardiovascular risk?
Studies have shown that Rybelsus did not increase the risk of major cardiovascular events such as heart attack, stroke, or death.
Are there any contraindications with Rybelsus?
Rybelsus is contraindicated if you have a personal or family history of medullary thyroid carcinoma (MTC) or Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia syndrome type 2. You should also avoid Rybelsus if you had a prior serious allergic reaction to semaglutide or any of its inactive ingredients.
The content on this website is intended for information purposes only. It does not constitute medical advice. The information on this website should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. You should always speak to your doctor regarding the risks and benefits of any treatment.