How it works
Get started by filling out the online enrollment application to find out if you are eligible for assistance.
NiceRx verifies your eligibility for medication assistance and notifies you if you are pre-qualified. The pharmaceutical company provides your medication for free, and you only pay our service fee.
We will request documents to be submitted by you and your healthcare provider that are required by the pharmaceutical company to complete your enrollment.
Once approved, the pharmaceutical company typically ships a 90-day supply of medication to your home or healthcare provider’s address. Final acceptance is determined by the pharmaceutical company.
Your monthly Safyral cost savings if eligible
If you are eligible for the Safyral patient assistance program you can receive your medication for free. Our monthly service fee of $49 per medication covers the cost of our services in applying for the program and requesting your ongoing refills on your behalf. If you obtain your Safyral through NiceRx, you will only pay $49 a month regardless of the retail price of your medication.
Am I eligible for the Safyral patient assistance program?
You could receive your Safyral without paying the full retail price if you meet the eligibility criteria for assistance. The eligibility requirements are set by the pharmaceutical companies that are providing assistance programs. At NiceRx, we review each application individually, although the main factors considered by most programs are:
- I am a permanent, legal resident of the United States or Puerto Rico
- I am uninsured or my insurance doesn’t cover my medication
- I meet certain income eligibility requirements
How do I apply for Safyral patient assistance?
We do everything that we can to take the hassle and stress out of applying for patient assistance programs. Simply start by filling in our enrollment application. We will ask for details about your healthcare provider, your insurance, and your household income. This information is required by the pharmaceutical companies you are applying to for assistance. We may also be able to help you access patient assistance for other medications that you have been prescribed, so be sure to tell us about any medications you are taking as well as Safyral.
NiceRx will review the information you have provided, and if we determine that you may be eligible for assistance, we will seek to enroll you in the Safyral patient assistance program. We will handle the enrollment process for you by working with your healthcare provider and preparing all the required paperwork for your doctor to sign. We will also request your Safyral medication refills on your behalf for up to 1 year once you are enrolled in the program.
Is NiceRx a Safyral coupon provider?
At NiceRx, we help eligible individuals access the Safyral patient assistance program. This means that we are not a Safyral coupon, a Safyral discount card, or a Safyral copay card provider. We do not offer any medication trial offers or free Safyral samples.
Can NiceRx help me get Safyral cheaper if I have insurance?
We may be able to help you if you have insurance, including if your insurance company will not pay for your Safyral medication, or if you have a high copay or coinsurance responsibility. We may even be able to assist if you do not have insurance. Please fill in our enrollment application to find out more.
How much does Safyral cost without insurance?
Safyral costs without insurance will vary depending on how much you buy and the retailer you buy it from. As a guide, Safyral oral tablets (3 mg-0.03 mg-0.451 mg) will typically cost around $640 for 84 tablets. If you obtain your medication through NiceRx, you will pay a flat monthly rate of $49 per medication regardless of its retail price.
How much does Safyral cost with insurance?
The copay of Safyral will vary in line with the specific terms of your healthcare plan. For further details about what you may need to pay, your insurance provider or pharmacist will be able to calculate the copay costs with your current insurance.
What is Safyral?
Safyral is an FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) approved medication manufactured by Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals Inc. Safyral is an estrogen/progestin birth control pill containing folate, used by women to prevent pregnancy and to increase folate levels in women who choose to use an oral contraceptive for contraception.
Women over 35 years of age who smoke are not recommended to use Safyral. Smoking increases the risk of serious cardiovascular events from combination oral contraceptive (COC) use.
What doses of Safyral are available?
Safyral is available in tablet form, in the following order: 21 orange tablets, containing 3 mg drospirenone, 0.03 mg ethinyl estradiol as betadex clathrate, and 0.451 mg levomefolate calcium, and 7 light orange tablets, containing 0.451 mg levomefolate calcium.
Please see the full prescribing information for the complete boxed warning and always speak with a healthcare professional for medical advice about any changes to your dose so they can monitor and evaluate your condition.
Safyral active ingredients
Safyral contains two female hormones, ethinyl estradiol, and drospirenone. Safyral also contains levomefolate calcium, which is a B vitamin.
Safyral side effects
The most common side effects of Safyral in clinical trials include:
- Premenstrual syndrome
- Breast tenderness, pain, or discomfort
- Nausea, vomiting
- Mood changes
- Abdominal pain
In rare instances, Safyral can cause more serious side effects. These can include:
- Serious problems from blood clots such as deep vein thrombosis (DVT), heart attack, pulmonary embolism, or stroke
- Malignant neoplasms
- Uncontrolled dyslipidemia
- Gallbladder disease
- Pregnancy-related cholestasis
- Venous thromboembolism (VTE)
- Liver disease – discontinue if jaundice occurs
- High blood pressure
- Uterine bleeding
Your doctor will assess the benefits of using Safyral against your risk of side effects. Patients are encouraged to report negative side effects or adverse reactions of Safyral to the FDA. Visit www.fda.gov/medwatch, or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Safyral drug interactions
Safyral can interact with other medications. These include:
- Drugs that induce certain enzymes may decrease the effectiveness of COCs or increase breakthrough bleeding. Use a backup or alternative method of contraception
- Aromatase inhibitors – anastrozole, exemestane, letrozole
- Certain combination products used to treat chronic hepatitis C – ombitasvir/paritaprevir/ritonavir with or without dasabuvir
- Other drugs that can raise your potassium level – including ACE inhibitors such as benazepril, or lisinopril
- Angiotensin receptor blockers such as losartan, valsartan, heparin
- NSAIDs such as ibuprofen
- Potassium-sparing diuretics – spironolactone, or triamterene
- St. John’s wort
- Drugs used to treat seizures – barbiturates, carbamazepine, felbamate, phenytoin, primidone, topiramate
- HIV drugs – nelfinavir, nevirapine, ritonavir
This list is not exhaustive and other prescription drugs may interact with Safyral. Tell your health care provider about all of your medications including any supplements you are taking.
You should not use Safyral if you:
- Are allergic to the active ingredients drospirenone, ethinyl estradiol, or levomefolate
- Have had an allergic reaction to any of the other ingredients in Safyral
- Have adrenal insufficiency
- Have a high risk of arterial or venous thrombotic diseases
- Have breast cancer or another estrogen- or progestin-sensitive cancer
- Have liver tumors or liver disease
- Have kidney disease
- Have uncontrolled high blood pressure
- Have heart disease (coronary artery disease, history of heart attack, stroke, or blood clot)
- Have an increased risk of having blood clots
- Have circulation problems
- Have a history of hormone-related cancer
- Have undiagnosed vaginal bleeding
- Suffer from severe migraine headaches
- Have a history of jaundice caused by pregnancy or birth control pills
- Smoke and are over 35 years of age
- Take any hepatitis C medication containing ombitasvir, paritaprevir, or ritonavir
- Are pregnant or are planning to become pregnant
Talk to your doctor before using Safyral if you:
- Are taking any of the medications that could interact with Safyral
- Have high cholesterol, triglycerides, or if you are overweight
- Have depression
- Have an underactive thyroid, diabetes, or gallbladder disease
- Are breastfeeding or are planning to breastfeed
Safyral is the trademark brand name for drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol/and levomefolate manufactured by Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals Inc. A generic version of drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol/and levomefolate is available. Generic drugs are generally cheaper than brand-name drugs, but you can still find Safyral savings through NiceRx.
The content on this website is intended for information purposes only. It does not constitute medical advice. The information on this website should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. You should always speak to your doctor regarding the risks and benefits of any treatment.