Xiidra Dosage, forms & strengths
Complete a free online enrollment application to find out if you’re eligible to pay only $49 per month for your Xiidra medication.Get started today
Xiidra (lifitegrast) is a lymphocyte function-associated antigen-1 (LFA-1) antagonist manufactured by Novartis Pharmaceuticals. It is indicated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat the symptoms of dry eye disease (DED) in adults. Xiidra is not approved to treat pediatric patients under 17 years of age.
How does Xiidra work?
The exact mechanism of action of Xiidra in treating dry eye disease is not known. Xiidra is thought to work by blocking the LFA-1 protein that is found in large numbers on the surface of cells in the eyes of patients with DED. Blocking this protein’s activity reduces inflammation and helps increase tear production.
Xiidra dosage forms and strengths
- Lifitegrast ophthalmic solution 5% in single-use containers
The usual dose for adults with DED is 1 drop of Xiidra twice a day in each eye, around 12 hours apart.
Xiidra dosage restrictions
There are no dosage adjustments recommended for patients with kidney or liver impairment.
How to take Xiidra
- Read the Full Prescribing Information, Patient Information, and Medication Guide that comes with this medication.
- Use Xiidra exactly as your healthcare provider tells you. Do not change your dose or stop this medication without discussing it with them.
- Use 1 drop of Xiidra in each eye 2 times a day, around 12 hours apart.
- Keep the Xiidra single-use containers in the original foil pouch until you are ready to use them. Once you open the foil pouch, use it immediately. After you have used it in both eyes, discard any unused solution. You should not save any unused Xiidra solution for later use.
- Wash your hands before each use of Xiidra to prevent eye infections. Xiidra does not contain a preservative so do not let the tip of the container touch your eye or any other surface to reduce the risk of contamination.
- If you wear contact lenses, remove them before using Xiidra. You can reinsert them 15 minutes after using this medication.
- If you miss a dose of Xiidra, take it as soon as possible. If it’s almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your next dose at its scheduled time. Do not take extra doses of Xiidra to make up for a missed dose.
- Store Xiidra single-use containers at room temperature between 68°F and 77°F (20°C and 25°C) in the original foil pouch.
Xiidra dosage FAQs
What are the most common possible side effects of Xiidra?
The most common side effects of Xiidra in clinical trials include:
- Eye irritation and redness
- Eye discomfort
- Blurred vision or decreased visual acuity
- Dysgeusia (altered sense of taste)
- Increased lacrimation (tear production)
Xiidra can sometimes cause more serious side effects, including:
- Allergic reactions (hives, swelling of the face or throat, and shortness of breath)
Contact your healthcare professional for medical advice about any adverse effects you experience while taking Xiidra. You can report your adverse reactions to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or www.fda.gov/medwatch.
What drug interactions occur with Xiidra?
The concomitant use of Xiidra with other medications may change the way they work or increase the frequency and severity of side effects. Discuss with your doctor whether any of the prescription drugs, over-the-counter (OTC) medications, vitamins, and herbal supplements you take may interact with this medication.
Are there any contraindications or precautions with Xiidra?
Xiidra should not be taken if you have a known hypersensitivity to lifitegrast or any inactive ingredients in Xiidra. You should also make sure your doctor knows if you are using other eye drops or are pregnant, plan on becoming pregnant, or are breastfeeding.
Can you take Xiidra while you are pregnant or breastfeeding?
There is not any data on the use of Xiidra in pregnant women or if it is found in breast milk during lactation. Since it is poorly absorbed into the bloodstream, the unborn baby or breastfed infant will more than likely not be exposed to the medication. You should always discuss the risks and benefits of any medication with your healthcare provider if you are pregnant, plan on becoming pregnant, or are breastfeeding.
What happens if you stop using Xiidra?
You shouldn’t have any withdrawal symptoms if you suddenly stop using Xiidra eye drops. If you do stop Xiidra, your dry eye symptoms may return.
Is Restasis better than Xiidra to treat dry eyes?
There are not any clinical studies that directly compare these 2 medications. They are both brand-name medications that are effective in treating the symptoms of DED. However, you may see symptom improvement with Xiidra faster than with Restasis. Xiidra started working for some people within 2 weeks while it can take Restasis up to 3 months to relieve dry eyes.
RELATED: Xiidra vs Restasis
What is the maximum dose of Xiidra?
The maximum recommended dose of Xiidra is 1 drop in each eye twice a day, about 12 hours apart.
Related resources for Xiidra dosage:
The content on this website is intended for information purposes only. It does not constitute medical advice. The information on this website should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. You should always speak to your doctor regarding the risks and benefits of any treatment.