Motegrity Dosage, forms & strengths
Complete a free online enrollment application to find out if you’re eligible to pay only $49 per month for your Motegrity medication.Get started today
Motegrity (prucalopride) is a medication used to increase the frequency of bowel movements in patients with chronic constipation. It is manufactured by Takeda Pharmaceuticals. Motegrity is not a laxative like Dulcolax (bisacodyl) or Senokot (sennosides). It is classified as a serotonin-4 receptor agonist and is indicated by U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of chronic idiopathic constipation (CIC) in adults aged 18 years and older. Motegrity is not FDA-approved to treat CIC in pediatric patients.
How does Motegrity work?
Almost everyone has an occasional case of constipation. In most of these cases, it’s mild and goes away without any treatment. Chronic idiopathic constipation (CIC) is constipation that lasts for at least 3 months without any known cause.
Muscles in your gastrointestinal tract contract and relax to move food along in a process called peristalsis. When this process is not working correctly, you can have constipation. Motegrity works by increasing the wave-like muscle contractions. It does this by binding and stimulating 5-HT4 receptors to improve bowel motility.
Motegrity dosage forms and strengths
Motegrity is available as an oral tablet in the following strengths:
- 1mg tablet
- 2mg tablet
The recommended starting dose of Motegrity is will be decreased by half to 1mg once daily in patients with severe kidney disease (CrCL < 30ml/min).
Motegrity dosage chart
***https://www.shirecontent.com/PI/PDFs/MOTEGRITY_USA_ENG.pdf page 1 table under dosage and administration***
Patient Population with CIC
Recommended Treatment Regimen
2mg by mouth once a day.
Adults with severe kidney impairment (CrCl < 30ml/min)
1mg by mouth once a day.
The safety and effectiveness of Motegrity have not been established in pediatric patients.
Motegrity dosage restrictions
- Your dose will be decreased to 1mg once daily if you have severe renal impairment (CrCl <30ml/min).
- No dose adjustment is necessary if you have liver impairment.
How to take Motegrity
- Read the Full Prescribing Information including the Black Boxed Warning, Instructions for Use, and Medication Guide that comes with Motegrity.
- Take Motegrity exactly as your healthcare professional prescribes it to you. Do not change your dose of Motegrity or stop taking Motegrity without first discussing it with them.
- Motegrity is typically taken once a day, with or without food. If you miss a dose, take it immediately. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take the next dose at your regular time.
- Store Motegrity in its original container at room temperature between 15°C-30°C (59°F-86°F). Store Motegrity in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. Always keep Motegrity and all other medicines out of the reach of children.
Motegrity dosage FAQs
What are some common side effects of Motegrity?
The most common adverse effects of Motegrity include:
- Abdominal pain
- Abdominal distension
- Flatulence (gas)
Motegrity can cause serious adverse reactions including:
- Suicidal thoughts and behavior
- Allergic reaction
Contact your healthcare provider for medical advice about any side effects you experience while taking Motegrity. You can report your side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or www.fda.gov/medwatch.
What are some drug interactions with Motegrity?
Make sure your doctor is aware of all prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and herbal supplements you take. They may interact and change how they work or increase the frequency and severity of side effects. Talk with your doctor or pharmacist about any possible drug interactions with Motegrity.
Are there any contraindications or precautions with Motegrity?
Motegrity is contraindicated in patients who have any of the following medical conditions:
- Hypersensitivity reaction to Motegrity or any of its inactive ingredients
- Intestinal perforation or blockage due to structural or functional disorders, or severe inflammatory conditions of the intestinal tract such as Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, obstructive ileus, and toxic megacolon/megarectum.
- In clinical trials, suicides, suicide attempts, and suicidal ideation have been reported. You should stop Motegrity right away and contact your doctor if you experience any thoughts of hurting yourself or any new onset or worsening of depression.
- Motegrity is not recommended in patients with end-stage renal disease that requires dialysis.
How long does it take for Motegrity to start working?
In clinical studies, patients that took Motegrity had their first complete spontaneous bowel movement within 1.4 to 4.7 days, while those taking a placebo took 9.1 to 20.6 days.
Can I drink alcohol while taking Motegrity?
Motegrity doesn’t seem to interact with alcohol. However, alcohol consumption can cause some of the same side effects as Motegrity, including headache, bloating, dizziness, and nausea.
How do I store Motegrity?
Store Motegrity in its original container at room temperature between 15°C-30°C (59°F-86°F). Store Motegrity in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. Always keep Motegrity and all other medicines out of the reach of children.
Is it safe to use Motegrity while pregnant or breastfeeding?
It is not known whether the use of Motegrity is associated with adverse effects on the fetus. In animal studies with Motegrity, there were no adverse developmental effects observed. There is a pregnancy exposure registry that monitors pregnancy outcomes in pregnant women exposed to Motegrity. You can register by contacting MotherToBaby Pregnancy Studies at 1-877-311-8972 or visiting https://mothertobaby.org/pregnancy-studies/.
Motegrity is found in breast milk. This is no data on the effects it has on the infant or milk production during lactation. You should always discuss the risks and benefits of any medication with your healthcare provider if you are pregnant, plan on becoming pregnant, or are breastfeeding.
Is there a generic for Motegrity?
Currently, there is no generic for Motegrity available on the market. However, you can still save on brand-name drugs like Motegrity through NiceRx if eligible for assistance.
Related resources for Motegrity