Viberzi Dosage, forms & strengths
Complete a free online enrollment application to find out if you’re eligible to pay only $49 per month for your Viberzi medication.Get started today
Viberzi (eluxadoline) is a mu-opioid receptor agonist that is manufactured by Allergan USA. It is a controlled substance (Schedule IV) that was approved in 2015 by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea (IBS-D) in adults 18 years of age and older.
How does Viberzi work?
Viberzi is an agonist at mu and kappa opioid receptors and an antagonist at delta opioid receptors. When Viberzi interacts with opioid receptors in your stomach and intestines, it slows the secretions from your gastrointestinal tract and pancreas. This slows down the movement of food and delays digestion. Viberzi’s activity at these multiple opioid receptors treats the symptoms of IBS-D while decreasing your chances of constipation.
Viberzi dosage forms and strengths
- 75 mg tablet
- 100 mg tablet
The recommended starting dose of Viberzi for adults is 100mg twice daily with food.
Viberzi dosage restrictions
The recommended starting dose should be decreased to 75mg twice daily with food in patients who:
- can’t tolerate the 100 mg dose.
- are taking OATP1B1 inhibitors.
- have mild or moderate hepatic impairment.
- have moderate to severe renal impairment.
- have end-stage renal disease (ESRD) but are not on dialysis.
Viberzi is contraindicated in patients with severe hepatic impairment.
How to take Viberzi
- Read the Full Prescribing Information, Instructions for Use, and Medication Guide that comes with this medication.
- Take Viberzi exactly as your doctor prescribes it to you. Do not change your dose or stop taking this medication without discussing it with them.
- Viberzi is taken twice daily with food.
- If you miss a dose of Viberzi, take the next dose at your regular time. Do not take extra doses of this medication to make up for missed doses.
- If you think you have taken too much Viberzi, call your doctor or go to the nearest hospital emergency room right away.
- Store Viberzi at room temperature between 59°F to 86°F (15°C to 30°C).
Viberzi dosage FAQs
What are some common side effects of Viberzi?
The most common side effects of Viberzi when compared to placebo include:
- Abdominal pain
- Common cold symptoms
Viberzi can cause serious adverse reactions such as:
- Life-threatening hypersensitivity reactions including hives and trouble breathing
- Severe constipation
- Worsening liver problems
Contact your healthcare professional for medical advice about any adverse effects you experience while taking Viberzi. You can report your side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or www.fda.gov/medwatch.
What are some drug interactions with Viberzi?
When Viberzi is taken with other drugs, they may change how they work or increase the frequency and severity of side effects. Make sure your doctor is aware of all prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and herbal supplements you take. Some major drug interactions with Viberzi include:
- Antiretrovirals such as atazanavir, lopinavir, ritonavir, saquinavir, tipranavir
- Substrates of CYP3A such as fentanyl and cyclosporine
Are there any contraindications or precautions with Viberzi?
Viberzi should not be taken by patients who:
- Have a known hypersensitivity to eluxadoline or any other ingredients in Viberzi.
- Don’t have a gallbladder or have a known or suspected gallbladder obstruction or biliary duct obstruction.
- Have sphincter of Oddi disease or dysfunction.
- Have a history of alcohol abuse, alcohol addiction, or drink more than 3 alcoholic beverages a day.
- Have a history of pancreatitis, pancreatic duct obstruction, or structural diseases of the pancreas.
- Have severe hepatic impairment (Child-Pugh C).
- Have chronic or severe constipation.
Caution should be taken in certain patients as:
- Viberzi may cause an increased risk of pancreatitis and sphincter of Oddi spasm. Notify your healthcare provider if you have new or worsening stomach pain, nausea, or vomiting.
- Severe allergic reactions, including anaphylaxis, have occurred with Viberzi. Stop taking Viberzi and seek immediate medical attention if you develop anaphylactic symptoms.
- Viberzi can cause constipation. You should not take other medicines such as anticholinergics that can worsen your constipation. Stop taking this medication and contact your healthcare provider immediately if you develop severe constipation.
Who can take Viberzi?
Viberzi is FDA-approved to treat irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea (IBS-D) in adults 18 years of age and older.
How long does Viberzi stay in your system?
Viberzi has a half-life of around 4 to 6 hours so it will stay in your bloodstream for 30 hours after your last dose.
When should I stop taking Viberzi?
You should stop Viberzi treatment immediately and get emergency medical assistance if you experience new or worsening abdominal pain or pain in the upper right side of your stomach area that might move up your back or your shoulder. You may or may not have nausea and vomiting as well.
Will Viberzi cause weight gain or weight loss?
There is no change in weight that is associated with taking Viberzi. If you experience an unexplained change in your weight, notify your doctor.
What is the cost of Viberzi?
Viberzi is an expensive medication with no available generic. It has an average cost of around $1,700 for #60, 100mg tablets
What is the maximum dose of Viberzi?
The maximum dose of Viberzi for adults with IBS-D is 100mg by mouth twice daily.
Is it safe to use Viberzi while pregnant or breastfeeding?
There are no data from clinical trials to determine the effects Viberzi may have on your fetus during pregnancy. There is also no data on whether Viberzi is found in breast milk during lactation, the effects on your infant, or the effects on milk production. You should always discuss the risks and benefits of any medication with your healthcare provider if you are pregnant, plan on becoming pregnant, or are breastfeeding.
Related resources for Viberzi dosage