Nurtec ODT side effects and how to avoid them
Nurtec ODT is a medication manufactured by Biohaven Pharmaceuticals Inc. Nurtec ODT is the brand name for the prescription drug rimegepant sulfate. It has FDA approval (Food and Drug Administration) for the acute treatment of migraine attacks, with or without aura, in adults. It is also used as a preventive treatment for episodic migraine headaches. While Nurtec ODT is generally well tolerated, there are some potential side effects that people should be aware of. The most common side effects of Nurtec ODT include nausea and indigestion. Less common, but more serious side effects, can include allergic reactions.
Learn more about the side effects of Nurtec ODT and what you can do to avoid them.
What is Nurtec ODT (rimegepant)?
Nurtec ODT is a migraine medication used for the acute treatment of migraine attacks, with or without aura, in adults. It is also used for episodic migraine prevention. The active ingredient of Nurtec ODT is rimegepant. It is classed as a calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) receptor antagonist. Calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) inhibitors block the effect of CGRP. CRGP is a small protein that is widespread in the sensory nerves that supply the head and neck. CRGP is involved in the transmission of pain, and its levels increase during a migraine attack. CRGP may also play a part in the onset of migraine attacks.
Always check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking any medication, including Nurtec ODT, to make sure it is safe for you.
More information on What is Nurtec ODT
Nurtec ODT dosage
Nurtec ODT is available in the following dosage form: orally disintegrating tablets, in doses of 75 mg. The recommended dose of Nurtec ODT is 75 mg orally as needed. The maximum dose in a 24-hour period is 75 mg.
This medication comes in a blister pack. Make sure your hands are dry when you are ready to take a dose. Place the tablet either on or under your tongue and allow it to dissolve. You do not need to take this medication with water or other liquid. Do not store this medication outside the blister pack for future use. Store at room temperature away from light and moisture.
Please read the prescribing information provided with this medicine for the full drug information and further patient information, and always speak with your healthcare provider for medical advice about any changes to your dose so they can monitor and evaluate your condition.
More information on Nurtec ODT dosage
How effective is Nurtec ODT?
Studies have found that individuals taking Nurtec ODT for migraine prevention experience migraine symptoms less regularly than before starting treatment.
Nurtec ODT side effects
The most common possible side effects of Nurtec ODT include:
- Nausea – with continued use of Nurtec ODT this side effect may go away. However, nausea is also a common migraine symptom
- Stomach pain, indigestion
Nurtec ODT can cause more serious side effects, including:
- Trouble breathing
- Hives, rash, difficulty breathing, swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat
If you experience any of these serious side effects, stop taking Nurtec ODT and seek medical attention immediately. You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit www.fda.gov/medwatch, or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Nurtec ODT drug interactions
Nurtec ODT can interact with other medications including:
- Strong inhibitors of CYP3A4 – clarithromycin, erythromycin, verapamil, grapefruit
- Strong or moderate inducers of CYP3A – phenobarbital, phenytoin, rifampicin, St. John’s Wort
- Inhibitors of P-gp or BCRP – amiodarone, ciclosporin, diltiazem, lansoprazole, ritonavir, nelfinavir
- Azole antifungals – fluconazole, ketoconazole, itraconazole)
- Rifamycins – rifampin, rifabutin
Before taking Nurtec ODT, be sure to tell your doctor about all of the medications you are taking to ensure they are safe to take at the same time.
Nurtec ODT warnings & precautions
Don’t take Nurtec ODT if:
- Are allergic to the active ingredient rimegepant
- You have had an allergic reaction to any of the other ingredients in Nurtec ODT
Talk to your doctor before taking Nurtec ODT if you:
- Are taking any of the medications that could interact with Nurtec ODT
- Have liver problems
- Have kidney disease or any other kidney problems
- Are pregnant or plan to become pregnant – your doctor will recommend appropriate treatment options for you. It is not known if Nurtec ODT can harm your unborn baby
- Are breastfeeding or are planning to breastfeed – It’s also not known if Nurtec ODT passes into breast milk or if it can affect a child who is breastfed. Talk with your doctor about the possible risks and benefits of taking Nurtec ODT while breastfeeding
You should always check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking any medication, including Nurtec ODT, to make sure it is safe for you.
Other warnings you should know about
Hypersensitivity reactions such as rash and dyspnea can occur days after taking Nurtec ODT, Discontinue Nurtec ODT if a hypersensitivity reaction occurs.
How to avoid Nurtec ODT side effects
The best way to avoid side effects is to take Nurtec ODT as directed by your doctor. Follow your doctor’s instructions carefully and do not take more or less than prescribed.
If you experience any side effects, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. They may be able to recommend ways to help reduce or prevent some of the side effects.
1. Stick to the recommended dosage
Take your prescribed dose of Nurtec ODT that has been recommended by your healthcare professional. Do not take more or less than prescribed.
2. Drink plenty of fluids
Nurtec ODT can be taken without water, however, if you do get migraines it’s important you drink plenty of water as staying hydrated may help you prevent a migraine attack.
3. Avoid alcohol
There isn’t any known interaction between drinking alcohol and taking Nurtec ODT. However, alcohol can trigger a migraine attack in some people. It may be best to avoid drinking alcohol while taking the drug if alcohol is one of your triggers.
4. Know the signs and symptoms of Nurtec ODT side effects
Signs and symptoms of side effects include nausea and stomach pain. Speak to your doctor if you experience any of these side effects.
5. Tell your doctor about all medications you’re taking
Be sure to tell your doctor about all other medications you’re taking, including over-the-counter drugs, vitamins, and herbal supplements, as they can interact with Nurtec ODT.
A medical professional has reviewed this article.