Nurtec ODT Dosage, forms & strengths
Complete a free online enrollment application to find out if you’re eligible to pay only $49 per month for your Nurtec ODT medication.
Get started today
Nurtec ODT (rimegepant) is a calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) receptor antagonist manufactured by Biohaven Pharmaceuticals, Inc. It is indicated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the acute treatment of migraines with or without aura. It is also used for the preventive treatment of episodic migraines. Nurtec ODT is only approved to treat adult patients over 18 years of age.
What is Nurtec ODT’s mechanism of action?
Nurtec ODT work by blocking the CGRP receptor. CGRP is a protein whose level increases during a migraine headache. CGRP causes inflammation and the dilation of blood vessels in your brain. It also causes the pain signals in your brain to increase. By blocking CGRP receptors, Nurtec ODT prevents these proteins from binding and causing migraine symptoms such as throbbing pain, nausea, and photophobia (sensitivity to light).
Nurtec ODT dosage forms and strengths
- Orally disintegrating tablet: 75mg
Nurtec ODT dosage
- For the acute treatment of migraines, the recommended dose is 75mg by mouth once a day as needed. The maximum dose of Nurtec ODT is 75mg in a 24-hour period. You should not take more than 18 doses of Nurtec ODT in a 30-day period.
- For the preventive treatment of migraines, the recommended dose is 75mg by mouth every other day.
Nurtec ODT is not approved for pediatric patients under 18 years of age.
Nurtec ODT dosage restrictions
- No dose adjustment is necessary for patients with mild, moderate, or severe renal impairment.
- Avoid this medication in patients with end-stage renal disease.
- No dose adjustment is necessary for patients with mild or moderate hepatic impairment.
- Avoid this medication in patients with severe hepatic impairment.
How to take Nurtec ODT
- Read the Full Prescribing Information, Drug Information, and Medication Guide that comes with this medication.
- Take Nurtec ODT exactly as your doctor tells you to.
- You can take Nurtec ODT once every 24 hours as needed for the acute treatment of migraine headaches.
- Make sure your hands are dry before you open the Nurtec ODT blister pack. Peel back the foil to remove the Nurtec tablet. Do not push it through the foil as you may damage it. Once removed, take Nurtec ODT right away by placing it on or under your tongue.
Nurtec ODT dosage FAQs
What are some adverse effects of Nurtec ODT?
Some common side effects of Nurtec ODT include:
- Abdominal pain
- Upset stomach
Nurtec ODT can sometimes cause more serious side effects, including:
- Severe allergic reactions (hives, swelling of the face or throat, and shortness of breath)
Contact your healthcare professional for medical advice about any adverse reactions you experience while taking Nurtec ODT. You can report your side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or www.fda.gov/medwatch.
What are some drug interactions with Nurtec ODT?
The use of Nurtec ODT with other medications can affect how they work or increase the frequency and severity of side effects. You should ask your doctor if any of the prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and herbal supplements you take may interact with Nurtec ODT, including:
- Strong CYP3A4 inhibitors such as itraconazole and clarithromycin
- Moderate CYP3A4 or potent P-gp or BCRP inhibitors such as amiodarone and verapamil
- CYP3A inducers such as rifampin, carbamazepine, and phenytoin
Are there any contraindications or precautions with Nurtec ODT?
You should not take Nurtec ODT if you have a known hypersensitivity reaction to rimegepant or any of the inactive ingredients in this product. You should make sure your healthcare provider is aware of your medical conditions such as liver or kidney problems or if you are pregnant, plan on becoming pregnant, or are breastfeeding.
How should I store Nurtec ODT?
Store Nurtec ODT in the original blister pack at room temperature between 68°F to 77°F (20°C to 25°C) until you are ready to use it.
Is it safe to use Nurtec ODT while pregnant or breastfeeding?
There are no placebo-controlled studies on the use of Nurtec ODT during pregnancy. There is a pregnancy exposure registry that monitors outcomes in women who have taken Nurtec ODT. For more information, contact: 1-877-366-0324, email [email protected], or visit nurtecpregnancyregistry.com. A lactation study determined that Nurtec ODT is found in breast milk. It is not known the effects it may have on breastfed infants. You should always discuss the risks and benefits of any medication with your healthcare provider if you are pregnant, plan on becoming pregnant, or are breastfeeding.
How long does it take for Nurtec ODT to start working?
Almost 40% of patients had pain relief and returned to their normal activities within 2 hours and over 54% of patients within 4 hours.
How long can I take Nurtec ODT?
When used for migraine prevention, Nurtec ODT is expected to be taken long-term. It has been shown to reduce monthly migraine days by ≥50% in around half of the patients by month 3.
When can you take a second dose of Nurtec ODT?
You should wait at least 24 hours after a dose of Nurtec ODT before you take a second dose.
Can you take Nurtec ODT 2 days in a row?
If you are treating an acute migraine attack, you can take 1 Nurtec tablet in a 24-hour period. While you can take Nurtec ODT 2 days in a row, it’s not known if you can take more than 18 doses of NURTEC ODT in a 30-day period.
What is the average price of Nurtec ODT?
Nurtec ODT is an expensive medication. The average cost of #8 Nurtec ODT 75mg is around $900.
Related resources for Nurtec ODT dosage
Nurtec ODT research & news
The content on this website is intended for information purposes only. It does not constitute medical advice. The information on this website should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. You should always speak to your doctor regarding the risks and benefits of any treatment.