Lynparza Dosage, forms & strengths
Complete a free online enrollment application to find out if you’re eligible to pay only $49 per month for your Lynparza medication.Get started today
Lynparza (olaparib) is a PARP inhibitor that is manufactured by AstraZeneca. It is FDA-approved as monotherapy or along with other medications to treat certain types of breast, prostate, ovarian, and pancreatic cancer.
How does Lynparza work?
Lynparza is a poly ADP ribose polymerase (PARP) enzyme inhibitor. PARPs are proteins that help cells repair their DNA so they can continue to divide and spread. Some cancers have gene mutations that increase their dependence on PARPs. Lynparza inhibits the actions of PARPs. Without these proteins, cancer cells can not repair themselves and die.
Lynparza dosage forms and strengths
- 100mg tablet
- 150mg tablet
The recommended dose of Lynparza is 300mg by mouth twice a day, with or without food. The length of therapy will depend on the cancer being treated and how you respond. You will typically take Lynparza for 1 to 2 years, but can take it for longer if your doctor recommends it.
Lynparza dosage restrictions
- No dosage adjustment is necessary for patients with mild renal impairment.
- A dose reduction to 200mg twice a day is recommended for patients with moderate renal impairment.
- There is no adjustment necessary for patients with mild or moderate hepatic impairment.
- There are no information for patients with severe renal or hepatic impairment.
- If using Lynparza is used with a strong CYP3A inhibitor, reduce Lynparza to 100mg twice a day and 150mg twice a day if used with a moderate CYP3A inhibitor. You should increase Lynparza back to its original dose after stopping theCYP3A inhibitor.
How to take Lynparza
- Read the Full Prescribing Information, Drug Information, and Medication Guide that comes with Lynparza.
- Take this medication exactly as your healthcare provider prescribes it to you. Do not change your dose or stop taking Lynparza without discussing it with them.
- Lynparza is typically taken by mouth twice a day, approximately 12 hours apart. It can be taken with or without food. You should swallow the tablets whole. Do not chew, crush, or cut Lynparza tablets.
- If you have hormone receptor-positive early breast cancer, you should continue taking endocrine therapy during treatment with Lynparza.
- If you miss a dose of Lynparza, skip it and take the next dose at its next scheduled time. Do not take extra doses of Lynparza to make up for missed doses.
Lynparza dosage FAQs
What are some side effects of Lynparza?
Some common adverse reactions to Lynparza seen in clinical trials when compared to placebo include:
- Abdominal pain
- Thrombocytopenia (low platelets)
- Decreased appetite
- Weight loss
- Anemia (low red blood cells)
- Heartburn and indigestion
- Taste alteration
Lynparza can sometimes cause more serious side effects, including:
- Serious hypersensitivity reactions (hives, angioedeam, and shortness of breath)
- Bone marrow disorders such as myelodysplastic syndrome/acute myeloid leukemia (MDS/AML)
- Increased risk of venous thrombosis events (blood clots)
Contact your healthcare professional for medical advice about any side effects you experience while taking Lynparza. You can report your side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or www.fda.gov/medwatch.
What are some drug interactions with Lynparza?
The use of Lynparza with other medications may change the way it works or increase the frequency and severity of side effects. You should ask your doctor if any of the prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and herbal supplements you take may interact with Lynparza, including:
- CYP3A inhibitors such as itraconazole and fluconazole
- CYP3A inducers such as carbamazepine and phenytoin
- Grapefruit and grapefruit juice
- Seville oranges and Seville orange juice
Are there any contraindications or precautions with Lynparza?
You should avoid Lynparza if you have an allergy to olaparib or any inactive ingredients in this product. You should use Lynparza with caution if you have bone marrow disorders, lung problems, kidney problems, or a history of blood clots.
What cancers does Lynparza treat?
Lynparza is indicated as a single agent or in combination with other medications for the following:
- Maintenance treatment of BRCA-mutated advanced ovarian cancer, fallopian tube cancer, or primary peritoneal cancer
- Maintenance treatment of HRD-positive advanced ovarian cancer, fallopian tube cancer, or primary peritoneal cancer in combination with Avastin (bevacizumab)
- Adjuvant treatment of germline BRCA-mutated HER2-negative high-risk early breast cancer
- Germline BRCA-mutated (gBRCAm) HER2-negative metastatic breast cancer
- Germline BRCA-mutated (gBRCAm) advanced pancreatic adenocarcinoma
- HRR gene-mutated metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer
Is it safe to use Lynparza while pregnant or breastfeeding?
While there have not been any clinical studies on the use of Lynparza during pregnancy, it should be avoided based on animal studies and its mechanism of action. You should have a pregnancy test to rule out being pregnant before starting treatment. While taking Lynparza, use an effective form of birth control and also for 6 months after you receive your last dose. Male patients receiving this medication should use effective contraception during treatment and for at least 3 months following their last dose if they’re with a pregnant female or with a female who may become pregnant. Because Lynparza may cause adverse effects on your infant during lactation, you should not breastfeed while on this medication and for 1 month after receiving your last dose. You should always discuss the risks and benefits of any medication with your healthcare provider if you are pregnant, plan on becoming pregnant, or are breastfeeding.
What is the average price of Lynparza?
Lynparza is an expensive medication. The average cost of #60 tablets of Lynparza 100mg is almost $8,000.
Who should not take Lynparza?
You should not take Lynparza if you are allergic to olaparib or any other ingredients in this medication.
What foods should you avoid with Lynparza?
You should avoid grapefruit, grapefruit juice, Seville oranges, and Seville orange juice during Lynparza treatment as they can increase the concentration of this medication in your blood.
How long will it take Lynparza to start working?
It can take Lynparza between 2 to 5 months to start working. The time it takes will depend on the type of cancer being treated.
How should you store Lynparza tablets?
Store Lynparza in its original at room temperature, between 68°F to 77°F (20°C to 25°C).
Related resources for Lynparza dosage