Basaglar Dosage, forms & strengths
Complete a free online enrollment application to find out if you’re eligible to pay only $49 per month for your Basaglar medication.
Get started today
Basaglar KwikPen (insulin glargine) is a long-acting type of insulin that is manufactured by Eli Lilly and Company. It is FDA-approved to manage hyperglycemia (high blood sugar levels) in adults and pediatric patients aged 6 years and older. It is a basal insulin that is used with diet and exercise to improve glycemic control in adults and pediatric patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus and adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
How does Basaglar KwikPen work?
Basaglar KwikPen (insulin glargine) is a biological medication that works similarly to human insulin (endogenous) made by your body. The main action of insulin, including the long-acting insulin Basaglar KwikPen, is to control blood glucose levels. It does this by promoting the uptake of glucose into muscle and adipose tissue (fat) and preventing glucose production in your liver. Insulin also inhibits the breakdown of fat (lipolysis) and protein (proteolysis).
Basaglar KwikPen dosage forms and strengths
Basaglar KwikPen is available as a prefilled pen in the following strengths:
Basaglar KwikPen dosage
Patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1DM) must use Basaglar KwikPen with a short-acting insulin. Basaglar Kwikpen is typically given as a subcutaneous injection once a day in your stomach area, buttocks, upper legs, or upper arms. You can give Basaglar KwikPen at any time of day but it should be given at the same time each day. The daily dose of Basaglar Kwikpen should be individualized based on your metabolic needs, blood glucose monitoring results, and blood sugar goal. Dosage adjustments of your insulin dose may be needed if you have changes in your physical activity, food intake, illness, or changes in liver or kidney function. Any changes to your insulin regimen should be done cautiously and under the supervision of your healthcare professional.
The recommended starting dose of Basaglar Kwikpen in T1DM patients should be about one-third of your total daily insulin requirements. Short-acting, rapid-acting, or pre-meal insulin therapy should be used for the remainder of your daily insulin requirements.
The recommended starting dose of Basaglar KwikPen is 0.2 units/kg of body weight or up to 10 units once a day. You may need to adjust the amount and frequency of short-acting insulins. You may also need to adjust the dosages of any other antidiabetic agents you are taking.
Basaglar KwikPen dosage restrictions
The effect of kidney (renal) and liver (hepatic) impairment on Basaglar KwikPen has not been adequately studied. You should frequently monitor your blood glucose levels if you have kidney or liver impairment.
How to take Basaglar KwikPen
- Read the Full Prescribing Information, Instructions for Use, and Medication Guide that comes with your Basaglar KwikPen.
- Use Basaglar KwikPen exactly as your doctor prescribes it to you. Do not adjust your dose or discontinue Basaglar KwikPen without discussing it with them first.
- Check your prescription label and pen every time you administer Basaglar Kwikpen to ensure you are using the correct insulin.
- The Basaglar prefilled pens each dial in 1-unit increments and can deliver a maximum of 80 units per injection.
- Basaglar KwikPen is typically given as a subcutaneous injection in your abdominal area, buttocks, upper legs, or upper arms once daily. It can be administered at any time of the day but at the same time every day. Do not reuse needles. Use a new needle with each Basaglar KwikPen injection. Reusing needles can lead to a serious infection or cause you to get the wrong insulin dose.
- Dispose of your used pen needles in a sharps container or a hard plastic container with a secure lid. Do not throw them away in your household trash.
- Rotate injection sites with each dose of Basaglar Kwikpen to reduce the risk of lipodystrophy (breakdown of fat tissue) and cutaneous amyloidosis (build-up of protein under the skin). You can use the same area of the body but not the same spot.
- Basaglar KwikPen is a clear and colorless solution. Do not use it if it is cloudy, colored, or has particles in it.
- You should not use Basaglar Kwikpen in an insulin pump or inject Basaglar Kwikpen intravenously (in your vein). Do not mix Basaglar KwikPen with other insulin products.
- Store your unused Basaglar KwikPens in the refrigerator at 36°F to 46°F (2°C to 8°C). Do not freeze your Basaglar KwikPen or use it if it has been frozen. Your unused pens can be used until the expiration date on the label if it has been kept in the refrigerator.
- In-use pens can be stored at room temperature between 15°C-30°C (59°F-86°F) away from heat and light. You should dispose of the pen you are currently using after 28 days.
Basaglar KwikPen dosage FAQs
What are some common side effects of Basaglar KwikPen?
The most common adverse reactions of Basaglar KwikPen include:
- Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
- Injection site reactions
- Weight gain
- Loss of fat tissue (lipodystrophy)
Basaglar KwikPen can sometimes cause serious side effects including:
- Life-threatening hypersensitivity reactions including hives, angioedema, and trouble breathing
- Hypokalemia (low potassium levels)
Contact your doctor for medical advice about any side effects you experience while taking Basaglar KwikPen. You can report your side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or www.fda.gov/medwatch.
What are some drug interactions with Basaglar KwikPen?
When Basaglar KwikPen is taken with other drugs, they may change Basaglar’s glucose-lowering effect or increase the frequency and severity of side effects. Make sure your doctor is aware of all prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and herbal supplements you take. Some major drug interactions with Basaglar KwikPen include:
- Other diabetic medications
- ACE inhibitors
- Angiotensin II receptor blockers (ARBs)
- Sulfonamide antibiotics
- Atypical antipsychotics
- Estrogens, progesterones, and oral contraceptives
- Thyroid hormones
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)
- Serpasil (reserpine)
- Glucagen (glucagon)
Are there any contraindications or precautions with Basaglar KwikPen?
Basaglar KwikPen should not be taken if you have had an allergic reaction to its active ingredient, its excipients, or other insulin glargine products. It is also contraindicated in patients who are having episodes of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level) or diabetic ketoacidosis.
Some other warnings and precautions you should be aware of with Basaglar KwikPen include:
- Never share your Basaglar KwikPen, needles, or syringes with anyone else.
- The risk of hypoglycemia, including severe hypoglycemia, is increased with changes to your insulin dose, insulin regimen, diet, or physical activity. Make sure you are familiar with the symptoms of hypoglycemia, which include tremors, nervousness, increased heartbeat, sweating, chills, confusion, fatigue, and excessive hunger.
- Severe allergic reactions have occurred with Basaglar KwikPen. Discontinue Basaglar KwikPen immediately and seek medical assistance if you have any signs of anaphylaxis.
- Increased risk of hypokalemia (low potassium levels) with the use of Basaglar KwikPen. Your doctor should monitor your potassium levels as needed.
- Increased risk of fluid retention, edema, and heart failure when Basaglar KwikPen is used in combination with thiazolidinediones (TZDs) such as Actos (pioglitazone).
How long does it take for Basaglar KwikPen to start working?
Basaglar KwikPen is slowly and continuously released after subcutaneous injection. It takes around 90 minutes after the injection to start working and will last for approximately 24 hours.
How much will Basaglar KwikPen lower my blood sugar?
In one clinical study, adults with T1DM who took Basaglar KwikPen along with mealtime insulin had their HbA1c level reduced by an average of 0.35% after 6 months.
Does Basaglar KwikPen cause weight gain?
Like other insulin products, Basaglar KwikPen commonly causes weight gain. It is not known the exact incidence of weight gain during clinical trials, but the manufacturer reported that it is a common side effect of this medication.
Can I drink alcohol while taking Basaglar KwikPen?
Basaglar KwikPen is not known to interact with alcohol. However, alcohol consumption can cause some of the same side effects as Basaglar KwikPen, including headache and dizziness. It can also irritate your bladder and increase urination.
How do I store my Basaglar KwikPen?
Refrigerate your unused Basaglar KwikPens at 36°F to 46°F (2°C to 8°C). Do not freeze your Basaglar KwikPen or use it if it has been frozen. Your unused pens can be used until the expiration date on the label if it has been kept in the refrigerator.
In-use pens can be stored at room temperature between 15°C-30°C (59°F-86°F) away from heat and light. You should dispose of the pen you are currently using after 28 days.
Is it safe to use Basaglar KwikPen while pregnant or breastfeeding?
It is unknown if the use of Basaglar KwikPen in pregnant women increases the risk of birth defects or miscarriage. It should only be used during pregnancy if the potential benefits outweigh the potential risk to the fetus. While endogenous insulin is found in breast milk, it’s unknown whether Basaglar KwikPen is excreted in breast milk or the effects it can have on your infant during lactation. Always discuss the risks and benefits of any medication with your healthcare provider if you are pregnant, plan on becoming pregnant, or are breastfeeding.
Is there a generic for Basaglar KwikPen?
Currently, there is not a generic available for Basaglar KwikPen on the market. However, you will still pay less for the brand-name Basaglar KwikPen through NiceRx if eligible for assistance.
Related resources for Basaglar KwikPen dosage
The content on this website is intended for information purposes only. It does not constitute medical advice. The information on this website should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. You should always speak to your doctor regarding the risks and benefits of any treatment.