Nuvigil Dosage, forms & strengths
Complete a free online enrollment application to find out if you’re eligible to pay only $49 per month for your Nuvigil medication.
Get started today
Nuvigil (armodafinil) is a brand-name CNS stimulant that is manufactured by Teva Pharmaceuticals. It is FDA-approved to improve wakefulness in patients with excessive daytime sleepiness in sleep disorders such as narcolepsy, obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), or shift work sleep disorder (SWD). Nuvigil is only indicated to treat adults and not pediatric patients under 18 years of age.
What is Nuvigil’s mechanism of action?
The exact mechanism of action of Nuvigil to treat excessive sleepiness is not fully understood. It is thought to increase the activity in the areas of the brain that help with wakefulness and alertness. Nuvigil works similarly to sympathomimetic agents such as amphetamine, dextroamphetamine, and methylphenidate.
Nuvigil dosage forms and strengths
- Tablets: 50mg, 150mg, 200mg, and 250mg
The recommended daily dose of Nuvigil will depend on the medical condition being treated:
- Narcolepsy or OSA: Take 150mg to 250mg by mouth once a day as a single dose in the morning.
- Shift Work Disorder (SWD): Take 150mg by mouth once a day as a single dose around 1 hour before the start of your work shift.
Nuvigil dosage restrictions
- No recommended dose adjustments are available for patients with renal impairment.
- The dosage of Nuvigil should be reduced in patients with severe hepatic impairment.
- Lower doses and close monitoring should be considered in geriatric patients.
How to take Nuvigil
- Read the Full Prescribing Information, Drug Information, and Medication Guide that comes with this medication.
- Take Nuvigil exactly as your healthcare provider tells you to. Do not change your dose or stop taking this medication without talking with them.
- If you are taking this medication for narcolepsy or OSA, you will typically take Nuvigil once daily in the morning. For the treatment of shift work sleep disorder, you will take Nuvigil approximately 1 hour before your work shift. This medication can be taken with or without food.
- If you miss a dose of this medication, take it immediately. If it is close to your bedtime and you don’t want to be awake for a few hours, skip the dose you missed and wait until the next day to take it.
- If you are taking Nuvigil for sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome and use a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine, continue using it while on this medication.
Nuvigil dosage FAQs
What are some side effects of Nuvigil?
Some common side effects of Nuvigil seen in clinical trials include:
- Increased blood pressure
- Loss of appetite
- Upset stomach
- Dry mouth
Nuvigil can sometimes cause more serious side effects, including:
- Serious, life-threatening allergic reactions (hives, angioedema, and shortness of breath)
- Increased psychiatric symptoms such as depression
- Suicidal thoughts or behavior
- Serious rashes, including Stevens-Johnson syndrome (SJS)
- Cardiovascular problems such as chest pain, palpitations, and increased heart rate
- Worsening or new depression, mania, or psychosis
Contact your healthcare professional for medical advice about any adverse reactions you experience while taking Nuvigil. You can report your adverse effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or www.fda.gov/medwatch.
What are some drug interactions with Nuvigil?
The concomitant use of Nuvigil with other drugs can change their blood concentrations or increase the frequency and severity of side effects. You should ask your doctor if any of the prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and herbal supplements you take may interact with this medication, including:
- CYP3A4 enzyme inducers such as carbamazepine and rifampin
- CYP2C19 enzyme substrates such as phenytoin, diazepam, propranolol, and omeprazole
- Hormonal contraceptives (birth control) such as ethinyl estradiol
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI)
What are some contraindications of Nuvigil?
You should not use Nuvigil if you have a known hypersensitivity to modafinil, armodafinil, or any inactive ingredients in its formulation.
Is it safe to use Nuvigil while pregnant or breastfeeding?
Animal studies showed that Nuvigil may harm your unborn baby. There is a pregnancy registry that monitors outcomes in women who have been exposed to Nuvigil during pregnancy. You can find more information about the registry by visiting www.nuvigilpregnancyregistry.com or by calling 1-866-404-4106. There is no data on whether Nuvigil is found in human breast milk during lactation. You should always discuss the risks and benefits of any medication with your healthcare provider if you are pregnant, plan on becoming pregnant, or are breastfeeding.
Does Nuvigil cause euphoria?
In addition to helping improve wakefulness, Nuvigil can give you feelings of exaggerated happiness and excitement, especially if taken at higher than recommended doses.
How can you make Nuvigil more effective?
While Nuvigil doesn’t seem to be addictive, your body can develop a tolerance to it if you take this medication for extended periods. Try taking skipping a day or 2 a week or taking it every other day to reduce the chance of you building up a tolerance to it. If tolerated, take Nuvigil on an empty stomach as taking it with food in your stomach can delay how fast it works. You should also avoid alcohol and other CNS depressants as they can cause drowsiness and counteract the effects of Nuvigil.
How long do the effects of Nuvigil last?
The effects of Nuvigil will begin to work within a few hours and can last up to 15 hours.
Can Nuvigil be used for depression?
Teva Pharmaceuticals has performed several studies using Nuvigil to treat depression. While it improved symptoms of depression, they were not statistically significant when compared to a placebo.
Is Nuvigil a controlled substance?
Nuvigil contains armodafinil, which is a schedule IV controlled substance. If you take more than the recommended dose, stopping this medication may cause withdrawal symptoms.
What is the average price of Nuvigil?
While there is a generic available for Nuvigil, it is still not cheap. The average cost of #30 generic Nuvigil 250mg tablets is almost $450.
Related resources for Nuvigil dosage
The content on this website is intended for information purposes only. It does not constitute medical advice. The information on this website should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. You should always speak to your doctor regarding the risks and benefits of any treatment.