What is Viibryd Uses, warnings & interactions
Complete a free online enrollment application to find out if you’re eligible to pay only $49 per month for your Viibryd medication.
Get started today
Viibryd (vilazodone HCl) is a prescription antidepressant medication that is manufactured by Allergan USA, Inc. It is FDA-approved to treat the symptoms of depression in adults 18 years of age and older. With depression, you can have an imbalance of chemicals in your brain. Viibryd works to correct this imbalance to improve your mood.
What is Viibryd used for?
Viibryd (vilazodone) is a prescription drug that is indicated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of major depressive disorder (MDD) in adults 18 years of age and older.
How does Viibryd work?
Viibryd is a dual SSRI and partial serotonin 5-HT1A receptor agonist. It has minimal effect on the levels of norepinephrine or dopamine. The therapeutic effect of Viibryd is thought to be due to its selective inhibition of serotonin reuptake. It is not known if its partial agonist activity at 5-HT1A receptors results in any antidepressant effects.
The efficacy and safety of Viibryd in the treatment of adults with MMD were shown in two randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trials. Viibryd was found to improve depressive symptoms better than placebo after 8 weeks.
What are the most commonly prescribed doses of Viibryd?
- 10mg tablet
- 20mg tablet
- 40mg tablet
Before taking Viibryd
Before beginning treatment with Viibryd, tell your healthcare provider if you have any of the following medical conditions:
- Personal or family history of suicide, bipolar disorder, mania, or hypomania
- Seizures or convulsions
- Bleeding disorders
- Hyponatremia (low sodium levels in your blood)
- Are pregnant, plan on becoming pregnant, or are breastfeeding
How to take Viibryd
- Read the Full Prescribing Information including the Black Box Warning and Medication Guide that comes with Viibryd.
- Take Viibryd exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not change your dose or stop taking Viibryd without discussing it with them.
- Viibryd is taken once a day with food.
- If you miss a dose of Viibryd, take it immediately. If it’s almost time for your next dose, skip the dose you missed and take it at your regular time. Do not take extra doses of Viibryd to make up for the missed dose.
- If you think you have taken too much Viibryd, call your doctor or poison control center at 1-800-222-1222 for medical advice as soon as possible, or get emergency treatment immediately.
- Store Viibryd at room temperature between 68°F to 77°F (20°C to 25°C).
Viibryd is contraindicated in patients who:
- Have had an allergic reaction to Viibryd or any of its inactive ingredients
- Have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) within the last 2 weeks
- Are receiving linezolid or intravenous (IV) methylene blue
- Increased risk of serotonin syndrome, a potentially life-threatening condition. This risk is even higher if Viibryd is taken along with other medications that increase serotonin such as SSRIs, SNRIs, amphetamines, and triptans. If you experience symptoms of serotonin syndrome, stop taking Viibryd and seek immediate medical assistance.
- Increased risk of suicidal thoughts and behavior, especially in young adult patients under the age of 25. Report new or worsening symptoms to your doctor or mental health professional such as mood changes, trouble sleeping, or other unusual changes in behavior.
- Increased risk of bleeding if Viibryd is taken along with other anticoagulant or antiplatelet medications.
- Viibryd can cause symptoms of mania or hypomania (periods of high energy, racing thoughts, reckless behavior, extreme happiness or sadness)
- Angle-closure glaucoma has occurred in patients taking antidepressants.
Common side effects of Viibryd
The most common possible side effects of Viibryd include:
- Insomnia (trouble sleeping)
- Abnormal dreams
- Dry mouth
- Weight gain
Viibryd can cause some serious side effects including:
- Serotonin syndrome (tremors, high blood pressure, confusion, muscle rigidity, and seizures)
- Increased risk of suicidal thoughts and behaviors, especially in young adults under the age of 25
- Increased risk of bleeding if taken with medications that affect coagulation
- Discontinuation or withdrawal symptoms if you suddenly stop taking Viibryd
- Eye pain, swelling, and redness
- Sexual dysfunction, including delayed or absent ejaculation, and erectile dysfunction
- Allergic reactions
Contact your doctor about any side effects you experience while taking Viibryd. You can report your side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or www.fda.gov/medwatch.
Viibryd drug interactions
When Viibryd is taken with other medications, they may interact and change how they work. They may also increase the severity and frequency of certain side effects. Make sure your doctor is aware of all prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, and supplements you are taking, including:
There are other medications that your healthcare professional can prescribe if Viibryd is not the right medication for you. Some alternative FDA-approved treatment options include:
How does Viibryd compare with Lexapro (escitalopram)?
Both medications are FDA-approved to treat major depressive disorder (MDD) in adults. Lexapro is also approved to treat MDD in adolescents aged 12 to 17 years. Lexapro and Viibryd are both used to treat anxiety and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). They both have similar common adverse effects and drug interactions.
There is very little data comparing Viibryd and Lexapro on safety and efficacy. One meta-analysis looked at 21 antidepressants, including Viibryd and Lexapro. It found Lexapro to be one of the most effective and safe antidepressants.
There is currently no generic alternative available for Viibryd but there is one for Lexapro. Viibryd has an average cost of over $250 for #30, 40mg tablets while generic Lexapro, (escitalopram) costs around $50 for #30, 10mg tablets.
How long does Viibryd stay in your system?
Viibryd has an estimated half-life of 25 hours, so it will stay in your bloodstream for a little over 5 days.
How do I store Viibryd?
Store Viibryd at room temperature between 68°F to 77°F (20°C to 25°C).
How long does it take for Viibryd to start working?
You may see some improvement in sleep, energy, or appetite within the first 1 to 2 weeks. Keep taking it even if you start to feel better because it can take 6 to 8 weeks for your depressed mood and lack of interest to fully improve.
Can you take Viibryd while you are pregnant or breastfeeding?
There are not any well-controlled studies on the use of Viibryd during pregnancy. Third-trimester use of Viibryd may increase the risk for persistent pulmonary hypertension and discontinuation syndrome after the baby is born. There is a registry for females who take Viibryd during pregnancy to track health information. You can register with the National Pregnancy Registry for Antidepressants online or at 1-844-405-6185.
It is unknown if Viibryd passes into breast milk or the effects it may have on the breastfed infant. You should always discuss the risks and benefits of any medication with your healthcare provider if you are pregnant, plan on becoming pregnant, or are breastfeeding.
Is there a generic for Viibryd?
Viibryd is an expensive brand name drug. Currently, there is no generic alternative for Viibryd available on the market. However, you can still save on brand-name drugs like Viibryd through NiceRx if eligible.
The content on this website is intended for information purposes only. It does not constitute medical advice. The information on this website should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. You should always speak to your doctor regarding the risks and benefits of any treatment.