Is Vyvanse generic available?
- The generic version of Vyvanse is available for sale.
- The drug patents for Vyvanse expired in 2023.
- There are several alternatives to Vyvanse for the treatment of ADHD.
What is Vyvanse?
Vyvanse is an extended-release central nervous system (CNS) stimulant that is classified as a Schedule II controlled substance. It is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of:
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adult and pediatric patients 6 years of age and older
- Moderate to severe binge eating disorder (BED) in adults
Vyvanse is not an approved weight loss drug. The use of other stimulant medications for weight loss has been associated with heart problems and other serious side effects. The safety and effectiveness of Vyvanse for the treatment of obesity have not been established.
The active ingredient in Vyvanse is lisdexamfetamine. Lisdexamfetamine is a prodrug, which is metabolized into L-lysine and dextroamphetamine once it is in the body. It is thought to work by stimulating the release of certain neurotransmitters such as dopamine and norepinephrine in the brain.
RELATED: What is Vyvanse?
Are there cheaper alternatives to Vyvanse?
There are other prescription medication alternatives to Vyvanse available for the treatment of ADHD. These medications have different strengths, dosages, and indications.
What is the closest drug to Vyvanse?
Is there a generic Lisdexamfetamine?
Yes, there is currently a generic version of Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine) available.
How much will Vyvanse generic cost once it’s available?
Generic drugs are typically much less expensive than brand-name medications. The price of generic Vyvanse ranges by pharmacy and is estimated to cost between $50-200 per month, depending on where you buy it.
When will generic Vyvanse become available?
As of 2023, the generic version of Vyvanse is available for sale in the United States. Patients who are taking this medication can start saving on this medication by purchasing the generic version of the drug.
How do you take Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine)?
Vyvanse is a capsule or chewable tablet that is typically taken once a day in the morning with or without food. If you cannot swallow the capsule, open it and mix the contents with yogurt, water, or orange juice. You should swallow the entire mixture right away without chewing.
Before taking this medication, you should tell your healthcare provider of all medical conditions you or your child have, including:
- Heart problems, heart defects, or high blood pressure
- Personal or family history of psychosis, mania, bipolar disorder, depression, or suicide
- Circulation problems in fingers and toes (Raynaud’s phenomenon)
- Are pregnant, plan on becoming pregnant, or are breastfeeding
You should avoid Vyvanse if you have an allergy to other amphetamine products, lisdexamfetamine, or any of the inactive ingredients in its formulation. You should also not take this medication if you are being treated with linezolid or have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) in the last 14 days.
Vyvanse side effects
The most common side effects of Vyvanse include:
- Loss of appetite
- Trouble sleeping
- Dry mouth
- Stomach pain
- Increased heart rate
Vyvanse can sometimes cause serious adverse reactions such as:
- Severe hypersensitivity reactions
- Serious heart problems, including stroke, heart attack, and sudden death
- Mental health problems such as hallucinations and mania
- Decreased circulation in your fingers and toes
- Serotonin syndrome, especially if taken with antidepressants such as SSRIs (fluoxetine and sertraline) or SNRIs (duloxetine and atomoxetine)
Speak with your prescribing doctor about the possible drug interactions with any other prescription drugs, over-the-counter products, vitamins, and supplements you are taking. These are not all of the possible side effects of Vyvanse. You should always seek medical advice for any questions or concerns relating to your medical condition or treatment. You can report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or www.fda.gov/medwatch.
How much does Vyvanse cost?
The estimated cost for a 1-month supply of brand name Vyvanse 30mg capsules without insurance is around $425. The generic version of Vyvanse is significantly cheaper, with savings of up to 80%.
Why is Vyvanse so expensive?
Brand-name drugs are always more expensive than generic drugs. Vyvanse is so expensive because it is a brand-name medication. Fortunately for patients, there is a generic alternative available for sale that is significantly cheaper.
RELATED: Why is Vyvanse so expensive?
A medical professional has reviewed this article.